Well I can't say I necesarily enjoyed reading the three texts (at least under the time constraints) but I did find the different aspects of the Gods and Godesses intresting. Out of the different texts which sets of Divine being do you think most represent human beings?
My opinion is the Greek Gods and Goddesses. they were involved in everyday life, they were petty and mean at times but they could also be kind when they thought it was warranted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree, iI think the Greek gods and goddesses best represented humans, mostly because they had human faults like jealousy, pettiness, etc. They were basically all-powerful and immortal humans who fought with each other and lived life according to their own whims.
ReplyDeleteI agree with both Cory and Emily that Greek gods and goddesses represented humans very well by mingling with them a lot and having human emotions. But I also think that Hindu divines also represent humans well because some of them even reincarnate as human beings. So in that way, they get to live complete lives of humans. By doing so, they find out exactly how it feels to be human. For example, Draupadi is the reincarnation of a goddess. But when she was born as a woman, she had no powers of the divine. She was just an ordinary woman although Krishna did listen to her a lot and made all her prayers come true.
ReplyDeleteI don't think the gods and goddess were really involved in our latest text. I only really saw mention of two and so hard to base on that, yet they were a huge part of the texts we read for the Hindu Unit and Greek unit.
ReplyDeleteOut of those I would pick the Hindu Gods and Goddesses. For me, they seemed more human and at times actually became human and so went through all the things we go through. As a mortal they understood what it was like to grieve, to be joyious, and to feel pain of heart and body. This trait of becoming human makes hindu gods like Krsna Or Ganesha seem much more approachable. At least to me.
I would have to say that yes the Greek gods were probably the most representative of human beings. They were faulty like human beings, jealous, easily angered, sneaky, etc. In Greek mythology most of human conflicts were in some way the gods conflicts, The Trojan War is a prime example of this. The Celtic gods were very human like also because not only did they exist in the same "plane" as humans but they also liked to do human things like weaving and such.
ReplyDeleteIt was a tought choice, but I will also go with the Greek gods from the Iliad. They have more of the human emotions, but in the Tain the gods actually live in the same world as the humans. Being in the same environment does add a little likeness between two groups.
ReplyDelete