Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Iliad

Why was Briseis so very important to Achilles? The book and the film differed in the film Achilles claimed her but as far as I was able to gather from the book she was already a "prize" of Achilles when the Iliad started.

8 comments:

  1. I don't think Achilles really cared about Briseis personally, he was simply angry that Agamemnon had the nerve to steal his war prize. The relationship between Achilles and Briseis was pretty critical in the movie as she was a Trojan princess whose love helped cure Achilles of hubris, however none of that actually happened in the book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will just speak about the movie and not the book (as there were a lot of difference between the book and movie). In the movie it appeared as Achilles really cared about Briseis and loved her and didn't just treat her as a prize. She is what made him human and brought out all his emotions. And as Emily mentioned, being in love with Briseis, Achilles was able to get rid of his hubris by giving Menalaus back the body of Hector. Because Achilles at that point realized what Menalaus was going through. This is the reason why Briseis is so important to Achilles and the change that she brings in him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The movie (as movies often tend to do) made the situation between the two much more romantic then the book. In one they loved each other and this was the cause of Achilles' anger and protectiveness. Really I think in the book it was all because of his arrogance. She was his property, therefore no one else had the right to her. So really instead of the love match that it was in the movie, helping cure him of his overwhelming ego, it actually was another catalyst to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... I guess as I watched the film, I almost saw Briseis as just Achilles possession. As if she was there to fulfill some sexual void. Perhaps Achilles even "kept" her because she was from the "enemy"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen the movie yet but will be this afternoon so will only comment on the book. From what I understood as I read she was war prize, yet at the same time she was someone that Achilles loved. The meaning behind the love is what I am unsure about. Perhaps she was a favorite "possesion" or maybe even a favorite wife. What-ever it was it was clear to me that he did love her and had some deep feelings for her as he was rather upset to have her taken from him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the book, Briseis is critical not because of who she is, or what she looks like - but because Achilles believes she belongs to him, and that he has every right to claim her as his. Like Emily said, she's his war prize, earned because of his glory in battle. When Agamemnon takes her away from Achilles, he is effectively telling Achilles, "I don't think you're all that great, you're not deserving of any glory or honor (which is all Achilles cares about), I can win this war without you", to which Achilles response is "Oh yeah? I'd like to see you try".

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the text, Briseis is perceived as a war prize to Achilles after breaking into Apollo's temple. Similarly, in the movie she also seems to be a war prize, but as time progresses and they spend more time together, Achilles seems to fall for her and that love starts to bring out the human with emotions in him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think it was just the girl, but the fact Achilles fought and bleed to win her and she was taken. She was taken because Agamemnon took the priest daughter, who Achilles did warn about the wrath of Apollo. Achilles warned him, he was punished, gave that girl back, and then took Achilles'. I would be pissed too. (at the situation that is.)

    ReplyDelete